Thursday, February 21, 2008

Failure of my marriage wasn't due to Autism

I pondered long and hard about posting about this one but, I think it is important.
There is quite a strain on a marriage and family when you have children with Autism.
They do take up a lot of time. There is a big financial strain.
And it is tiring at times, very tiring.
A lot of couples with Autistic children end in divorce.
My divorce wasn't due to my children's Autism.
My husband wasn' t a nice man and by the time I found this out, it was too late for me.
Last year in June/July, I had him removed from the home and charged with terrorising.
It was a traumatic time for me and it was a hard decision to make.
I had been coming to it for a long time but had to wait until the time was right.
I was very fortunate that the Sheriff that we have in our small town is a decent, level headed guy who had all his ducks in a row before the initial charges were laid.
It was a well prepared take down and no one was hurt, that I am aware of, during his arrest.
I have to really give thanks to our sheriff and also to his deputies.
Terrorising and terrorism are two different things.
He had made my life a heinous hell for 9 yrs and although I did what I could to protect my children I could see that if he wasn't removed, he would do irreparable harm to them emotionally.
I don't think they were too sad to see him gone.
In fact their behaviour actually improved after he was taken away.
He is still incarcerated at this time although, I hear that he may be released soon.
The Center for Domestic Violence were very attentive to our needs although actually going to a shelter would have been the last option for me as 3 of my children would not have taken the change in stride.
They did understand this but, still went out of their way to accomodate us just in case it was needed.
I don't know if I will be safe after he is released as multiple threats were made repeatedly and I know his evil nature but, I don't want to live the rest of my life in fear.
I just spent the last 9 years living like that, worrying about what I said, where I stood, what I did, even breathing at times seemed to upset him.
Now to live the rest of my life looking over my shoulder, waiting for the crack of the rifle or the news that one of my children is missing, I don't know if I will be strong enough to handle it.
I can say that I am during the day time, but, at night when the dogs bark or I hear a creak on the stairs.... I honestly can't say.
I would like to think that if I made it through the last 9 yrs of hell, I can do anything and I have the children to think of.
If anything, I can be strong for them.
Later

1 comment:

roz said...

Bugger I just did a nice comment about your incredible blog but lost it! In a nutshell you are a remarkable Lady to have gone through so much and I am so proud and saddened reading your blog. You are a lot stonger than I would have given you credit for as your childhood friend. Your blog is touching and emotional. Thinking of you Hun from one of your oldest (but still younger than you) friends Roz Xx