Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Children with Autism Don't React Well to Change


Naturally enough that comment depends on the level of Autism that the child has.

Kathleen does not respond well to change.

The three nights that I spent in Bismarck were hard on her.


She went from a little girl who would jump in the bath tub and spend ages in there playing to a screaming mess each night when I would either start the water running or she saw the signs that I was getting ready to bathe them.


There is nothing that may set them off. It is simply the change in routine but if anyone has read the prior post on Kathleen and bathing, they will know that it took me probably close to 8 months of intensive, concentrated work to get her to the point where she would enjoy her bath and tolerate having her hair washed.


The night after I got back I realized that I would have to practically do it all over again.


It was a little sad to have my little girl back to screaming and wailing when the bath was turned on.


Fortunately she would agree to get in but was wailing the whole time and she would hang her head over the side of the tub.


It has taken her this long to figure out that I didn't want anything from her but to have her sit in the bath and wash herself or agree to let me do it for her.


Last night she jumped in the bath wailing but was prepared for flight at any time.


I leaned on the counter and asked Rachel to hand her the face cloth and indicated to Katy that I just wanted her to wash her face which she did.


All of a sudden she stopped the wailing. She would occasionally lean over the tub to reach for the towel to wipe the tears from her eyes but the incessant noise had stopped.


She looked over at me and gave me a quick smile and sat in the tub.


She had Rachel and Sarah in there with her and I instructed them to stop being mermaids for a wee bit which they agreed to do.


Kathleen just sat there for about 10 minutes. Occasionally she glanced my way and gave me more smiles and I got one giggle from her.


When she was ready she hopped out and we played the cuddle game which she loves.


Hopefully tonight she will be better again. It just takes a lot of time and patience and of course with children with the degree of Autism that Kathleen has it may take a little while so you just have to persevere.


I would rather have the children want to do a task than force them and have them hate every second of it. It can be done.

Later.

No comments: