Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What a Brilliant Day We Had Today

First off, per report for Nathan's summer school, his para had written the days of the week on the board from Monday to Friday, and was going to get Nathan to read them.
Nathan proceeded to yell and took the whiteboard pen off her and wrote Sunday before Monday and then Saturday after Friday.
Then he proceeded to write the numbers from one to ten in letters on the board.

Last Thursday for Nathan's NAET treatment, we removed an allergen for Pertussis.

I have maintained that Nathan's Autistic symptoms appeared just after he'd had his routine vaccinations.

This week I am hoping that we will do the MMR or the DPT.

I have noticed that since last Friday, his spontaneous speech has increased and he appears to be making almost a forced effort to say words when playing with his siblings or doing things on his own.

Once again, I feel that his speech is gaining in clarity also.

On Saturday, I pulled the garbage bag out of the receptacle and had just tied it up to take out and Nathan came running up to me, took it out of my hand and headed up the backyard with it to throw it over the fence into the trash container.
Once I had picked my jaw up off the floor, I thanked him profusely, he had never done that before, nor shown any inclination to learn that skill.

We do a lot of musical therapy at home. I like to sing. It is a good stress release for me and what I lack in talent, I make up for in volume.
The children all take turns dancing with me and with each other.
We also improvise with instruments and I am currently teaching the girls to play the spoons.

I sing phrases and sometimes they repeat them.

Nathan has always been tolerant of our music sessions and sometimes he will willingly come in to the kitchen and he and I waltz with him standing on my feet but he has never hummed or attempted to sing.

This afternoon when I got home from Rachel's dentist appointment, he asked me for juice.
Kathleen was having a conniption and was yelling as she wanted a toy that John had so I sang a one liner that I often repeat.
It goes, I'm in the mood, for dancing, romancing and love...

Well, I got the romancing part done and then Nathan who was standing beside me, sang the last two words.
It was so heartwarming. He is watching, he is learning, and now that he is able, it is all coming out.

I couldn't be happier. He has never ever sung before. Not only did he have the two words in the right spot, he sung them!

Looks like we are having a party at my house tonight.

First Eric didn't want to go to sleep until midnight, then shortly after, Kathleen got up and shows no sign of going back to bed.

There is a gentleman who teaches weekend seminars on NAET in Montana.

I would really like to go and learn it so I could do it at home and get John and Kathleen started on them.
With the progress that I have seen with Nathan, I am confident that it would help them too.

No comments: