Sunday, February 17, 2008

A day of rest

Sunday morning my friend picks up Rachel to take her to church.
On the odd occasion, Sarah goes with them.
During the time that they are gone, the house undergoes a quiet metamorphosis.
The girls are incessant talkers and where ever they are, there is noise.
They like John to join them in their games and encourage him to join in, and sometimes Kathleen, so there is invariably always noise as long as they are awake.
When they are gone, the boys seem to take a bit of a breather and there is quiet for a while, then, within an hour, an odd thing happens.
The boys, including Nathan start to talk.
It is almost as if they don't get the opportunity to do it while the girls are around and so they make the most of this time.
My sister just sent me a picture of my mum so I called Nathan over to have a look and as I explained to him who she was and where she was, he repeated it and smiled as he watched.
John has visited several times to tell me something different about what he is up to in the house.
I can hear Nathan in the loungeroom vocalising and occasionally repeating a word that he is either hearing from John or the television.
And Eric is at my feet playing with his toys and chatting away.
Last night I was trying to rock him to sleep and Rachel walked past so he started pointing at her and yelling what sounded like Rachel.
He has a good set of lungs on him and wasn't satisfied till she came and kissed him goodnight again.
Now Nathan is yelling "yay"
All is right with his world so it is right with mine.
Donna

No comments: