Sunday, February 3, 2008

Take Your Humour Where You Can

This weekend something interesting happened.
Kathleen, my 4 yr old discovered scissors. When I say discovered, I mean reeaaly discovered them.
Oh, she had used them here and there to diligently cut around pieces of paper when asked to, but this weekend, she really discovered what they could be used for.
All kinds of wonderful things!
Scissors cut curtains.
Scissors are real good at cutting clothes.
And, perhaps the best one......... scissors cut hair!
And, not just your own.
I would hear footsteps running at certain intervals across the loungeroom, through the dining room and into the bathroom.
Then I would hear the toilet lid bang down and the toilet flush and lastly, a gleeful little laugh that clearly said 'everything was right in her world"

Well, Kathleen has Autism. She is still in diapers and I knew that she was not using the toilet for the purpose for which it had been designed so, surreptitiously, the next time this little routine was begun, I set myself up next to the bathroom door and peeked in just as the lid was being shut.
A small handful of hair had been tossed in prior to the lid being shut.
But, she just looked full of joy. A great deed had been done!
She raced past me and looked up at me, right into my eyes and gave me the most brilliant smile.
I had to smile back, she was just so happy and proud of herself.
And as she ran past and I looked at the jagged, bitsy edges where her blonde, shoulder length curls used to be, I thought, yes all is good.
Anyway, they say, it is only 10 days from a bad haircut to a good one.
And I guess, I will just try harder to hide the scissors.

No comments: