Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Diagnosis Of Autism

Wow.
That is quite a step. Actually agreeing that there may be something wrong with your child and wanting a definitive diagnosis.
I knew that Nathan had Autism.
I had seen it since he was approx 14mths old.
John, I wasn't too sure about. His could have been because he was just copying his elder brother. I think I might have been in a little bit of denial there for a while.
No, maybe not denial exactly, maybe I just hoped against hope that I was wrong.
I called many neurologists, some that I had worked with, some that my friends and sister had worked with.
The answers were pretty much all the same, there is no cure for Autism.
The boys weren't diagnosed formally until 2006.
Kathleen, in 2007.
I took to the internet and the library.
If I wasn't at home, then I was at the library or work. Another necessary evil.
I looked at book after book after book.
I found many to interest me and point me in many different directions.
At first, I thought it was the vaccines that had caused my children's Autism but, then what caused Kathleen's. She was never immunised.
And, why did I have Rachel, a regular girl, in between John and Kathleen.
Now I have Sarah and Eric. So far neither of them showing signs although Eric at 13mths is still too young to tell.
Ahhh, Maybe a genetic link with multiple triggers.
Therefore, judging by all these different books, a different cure for a different trigger.
Or, maybe not a cure but, a lessening of symptoms to the degree where the person could live a normal life.
A book to try is The Essential Guide To Autism It gives a lot of information on what to look for and where to start.
There is a lot of information out there and quite frankly, it is easy to become overwhelmed.
You need to know that you are not the only out there going through the same thing.
It is easy to bury your head in the sand and not want to deal with it.
It is okay to grieve, for a short while, but, the only chance that your child has of making any kind of recovery is YOU.
No one and I mean no one will care as much as you do if your child succeeds.
For some teachers, your child is job security.
Having an Autistic child is draining emotionally, physically and financially.
You will possibly spend a lot of time fighting to try and get your child the help he/she deserves, but you know what,
The first time they look into your eyes and smile at you again....
The first time that they return your hug, and it may be just a little squeeze...
The first time that you come to pick them up from daycare or school and they notice you and run to you and wrap their arms around your legs....
It is gonna make it all worthwhile.
Longer than the 8 second buzzer, but, it is definitely one hell of a ride.

No comments: