Monday, February 11, 2008

I Know I have A Lot To Be Grateful For

Tonight Eric and Sarah played for a while. Both laughing loudly and merrily.
After she left him to go and do something else, he pointed in the direction she had gone and called, what sounded like, Sarah for quite some time and then looked at me to see if maybe I could produce her.
I got her to come back for an encore performance and he reacted gleefully and encouraged that calling her name seemed to work, repeated it over and over to her in varying decibels.
Nathan and John sat down together in the yellow room and played video games together. John didn't even get upset having to wait for Nathan to finish playing Mario Go Kart as that is not Nathan's forte, then John was quite content to sit next to Nathan and cheer him on while he played Mario Brothers.
Rachel read a book to me yesterday evening. I only had to say a few words for her and after she had sounded them out herself could say them when she saw them again.
As the page numbers grew where she didn't have to ask for help, you could see her confidence visibly grow as she took greater possession of the book and her head came up higher and her voice became louder and less tremulous.
I was so proud of her when she finished and she was so proud of herself. I just couldn't say enough nice things to her, she was positively glowing.
Sarah and I went out for coffee this morning. She was polite and respectful to everyone she met.
One of the things I have tried to teach my children is, that it costs you nothing to smile at people and to say hello.
Who knows, they may be having a lousy day and your smile may be enough to pick them up and set them on their feet again.
Kathleen had a little friend over today to play.
She is disabled too. They are the same age and they met at the pool last summer and ended up going to the same daycare and surprisingly have been friends ever since.
When I go to pick up Kathleen on Thursdays, this little girl is ready to come with us.
Apparently when her grandmother picks up Jenny on the other days, Katy is putting her coat on to go with her.
It is really nice to see.
They ran and played outside together and laugh, man it could just light up a room. It is truly magical.
Yes, I really have a lot to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Crista said...

Hi Donna,
It is so wonderful to see/hear your thoughts and feelings put down in such eloquent words. Yes, you do have much to be grateful for, but that does not negate the pain and heartache that goes hand in hand with it. I am so sorry to hear that you are fighting this battle on your own (well physically anyway), but it sounds as though your children have all that they need in you. I will keep you and your children in my prayers.

Love, Crista K.