Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What is the future?

You know it occured to me that some of you reading this may have stumbled on this and may not even know much about Autism.
Autism currently affects 1 out of 150 children.
Wow, what an astounding figure huh!
Incredible to think that for some of you who have not known about autism previously you may come into contact with someone who has it within the next few years.
Currently the incidence of autism amongst our children is increasing at an alarming rate of 10-17% each year.
Autism in children is outranking childhood diabetes as the number one illness.
Too many.
If it keeps increasing like this, who is going to be around to look after them all.
And no one can say without question yet, what causes autism.
So when you have a child, is it going to be a bit like the lotto?
Hopefully you win it and your child is okay.
You know, I had read a lot of comments posted by people on autism.
My favourite stupid one would have to be the one that says "don't look on it as a tragedy, embrace the children, you don't have to fix them"
A number of times I have noted that these comments are posted by people with great ideals who have nothing to do with autism.
Just because my children have autism does not mean that I think of it as tragic.
My children are aware that they are loved by me.
But that sure does not mean that I am not going to do everything in my power to reduce their autism symptoms.
These people have to understand, maybe the child is quite content in their own world, knowing that their needs are being taken care of.
But, the big picture is, these children are going to outlive me.
Who is going to look after them when I am gone?
I need to try to recover them. I need to make them as self sufficient as possible.
Afterall, isn't that what you try to do to regular children?
You teach them life skills and you send them out into the world.
You are there for them to fall back on if they need you.
I can't depend that someone is going to want to take as good care of them as I do.
And think about it, in 20 or 30 years, unless this epidemic is brought to a halt, there will be too many of them.
I have been successful in reducing some of their autism symptoms.
They are all able to get something to eat or drink when they need it.
I am trying to teach the older ones how to go to the store to buy things.
The more repetition that they have, the easier this is becoming.
I am teaching them that some of their autism symptoms are not appropriate in public.
The autism society of america has a listing of autism symptoms.

Know the Signs: Early Identification Can Change Lives
Autism is treatable. Children do not "outgrow" autism, but studies show that early diagnosis and intervention lead to significantly improved outcomes.
Here are some signs to look for in the children in your life:
Lack of or delay in spoken language
Repetitive use of language and/or motor mannerisms (e.g., hand-flapping, twirling objects)
Little or no eye contact
Lack of interest in peer relationships
Lack of spontaneous or make-believe play
Persistent fixation on parts of objects

That came off their website at www.autismsocietyofamerica.com

They have some other helpful information and it is worthwhile checking it out.
I know it is easy to go into information overload, but, knowledge is power.
Later.

No comments: