Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Power of Prayer and Autism

I believe in God.
I think that God has helped me get through some very trying times in my life.
He protected us and kept us safe through some very harrowing experiences.
And I know, each day he watches over my children and places tools that may aid their recovery from Autism in my way.
He also brings some interesting people into my life.
Some for a short time to teach me something or help me get through a difficult period and some friends that I have had for a long time no matter how far away from each other we travel.
I am grateful for each and every one of them.
I know that I have a lot of people who pray for us on a daily basis.
My uncle who has been battling leukemia since I was 13 prays daily for my children's deliverance from their Autism.
But one of the neatest things happened to me one day at the grocery store.
I had taken Nathan with me and he was standing at the counter holding onto a bottle of coke for dear life, waiting fairly patiently to pay for it.
There was a man I couldn't remember having seen before standing in front of us paying for his groceries.
He turned to Nathan and said "Is that for me?"
Nathan didn't say anything, just looked at him.
The man tried again, "did you get that for me? Is it mine?"
And again from Nathan, nothing.
I was a bit embarrassed and I didn't want the man to think Nathan was being rude so I said to him, "He has Autism, he doesn't speak"
The man replied " I know, I pray for him every night"
and with that he smiled and walked away.
It took a second to register what he had said and even as I type this, it stills brings tears to my eyes.
A complete stranger, knowing about the children's Autism and praying for them on a daily basis.
With that kind of support, and with God's grace, how can we lose.
Go with God.

No comments: