Monday, March 10, 2008

Kathleen's Party

I found Katy asleep sitting up in the armchair this evening.
She was sitting up as nice as could be and on first, second, third glance it would have appeared that she was watching television quietly.
Quietly, not our Katy.

When I brought the food out I knew something was not right and true enough. Her day at special ed daycare must have been too much for.
She was sleeping.

I try not to let her nap in the afternoon as I pay for it at night and sure as eggs is eggs, it is 1150pm and she is behind me in the kitchen holding her own little party.

She has different types of food out. Dry noodles is a staple, bologna, cheese and tomato sauce (which I count as a vegetable).
Makes me feel better about her eating it alone.
It is not that she doesn't get fed at regular intervals. It seems that food is always being provided in this household and due to the fact that Nathan, John and Katy I guess due to the Autism have a selfimposed food selection process it is varied to a point.

Katy is what I would call a grazer. She has to have food near her or know where a stash is at all times.
This morning she insisted on cooking and taking a corndog to daycare and I know that it is not because she is not being fed, it is just one of her little autistic idiosyncrasies.

She has a spot downstairs with her favourite toys and things that she has taken from the other kids. She always keeps a stash of dry noodles and sometimes candy down there.
Friday morning I had some spare time so I went down there and cleaned it up.
Friday afternoon after the children were dropped off I heard a scream of rage.
Katy had discovered that I had cleaned (usually it gets done on a Saturday morning under her strict supervision).
Ten minutes later I hear her boots on the stairs and up she comes, probably took her that long to rearrange her toys, straight into the pantry for a packet of noodles and then thump, thump, thump down the stairs again.

Still makes me smile. She doesn't stay mad long and was soon back, just as soon as she had everything laid to rights.

So now, Kathleen is having a party. But at least nowadays she is a lot quieter about it and sometimes she even gets out the broom and cleans up after herself.
Later.

No comments: