Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Tried A Product Called Inner Sun On John


I was looking for a product that I could use on my Autistic son John.
He also has ADHD and although he is a very bright lad, he does tend to jump around a lot and flap like the dickens.

This not only tends to get annoying when you are trying to get and keep his attention, it also impairs his ability to learn at school.

I did have him on a multi Bcomplex along with Fish Oil for a week and although it was working to calm him down a little, I thought that we could do better so on Saturday, I added the Inner Sun which is put out by 4 Life.

All I can say about trying different products and treatments for Autism, is that you need to give them a decent trial period, then you need to weigh the pro's and the con's.

No two Autistic children are the same so it is quite possible that what works for one will not work for another.

On Saturday afternoon John burst into tears over a seemingly non-incident. It took him a while to calm down and he did the same on Sunday.
Also I noted on Sunday that although he was following two step commands with no further prompting and he did sit still and do his homework without giving me a hard time, the flapping was very much in place and he did bang his head on several occasions.

Monday, I found that he was much easier to put to bed. He is on Melatonin as it takes him hours before his brain finally shuts down at night time and this seems to give it a little push but even with that, it was sometimes 11pm before he would go off to sleep.

Tuesday he got up willingly and didn't give me a hard time about getting dressed to go to school which was a nice change but the special ed teacher reported that John's behaviour at school was not all I hoped that it would be.
Wednesday and Thursday continued the same and as a result, after discussing it with the distributor of 4 Life, I just don't think that it agrees with John so I have decided to stop it and continue with the Vit B complex and fish oil.

I may do that for a week and then add magnesium with calcium as my sister in law used this on her son with ADD and was able to drop his dose of Ritalin drastically.

It is not that I really have anything against psychotropics, I think that they definitely have their place as a treatment for different disorders but I would rather not use them if I can find something that works just as well for John without the horrific side effects.
Later.

No comments: