Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Kathleen Kisses

Young Kathleen was in a marvelous mood today.
She laughed and played with people all day.
When it came to bathtime she washed people's hair and laughed at them as she poured water on their heads, she was just having a good old time.
In fact there were few signs of autism she exhibited.
Prior to going to Marlene's place, we turned on the CD player and danced to some NZ music.
Dancing basically means that I carry her and dance and she smiles and looks into my eyes.
I also sing along to the songs and today for one whole song, Kathleen kept up a tuneful babble.
It is almost like she is singing but doesn't know the words so she makes up her own.
It was fabulous!
Just before getting into the bath, she was having trouble getting her jeans undone and I asked if she wanted help and she replied "yeah" then she said "yes".
The speech was very clear.
She finished off her bath with her new routine of putting a little water on the bathroom floor and sliding up and down it.
Our bathroom is a good size and she can get a good momentum going.
I let her go at it for a couple of minutes then call her out.
As soon as her nappy is on, it is time for cuddles and she climbs up onto my lap and laughs and smiles at me.
Today as I was looking at her, I said kiss and kissed her on the lips.
She looked at me and then she puckered up her lips and we repeated this another 5 or 6 times.
Then Rachel came over and Katy hopped off my lap and Rachel gave her a hug and a kiss.
She had done this a couple of times before Sarah had to come over and try it.
Katy laughed and laughed and she was having a good old time.
We were so happy.
In the past, one of Katy's autism symptoms was that she was a biter.
She has a very good set of teeth and sometimes she would latch on and draw blood.
You would never know if she was going to bite until it happened and I had numerous bruises and teeth marks in the old days.
A couple of years back, we were watching tv one night and Katy was just coming out of her lay down in the same spot and scream uncontrollably days and was starting to interact a little with us.
She came over to the couch where I was sitting and climbed on my lap and put her arms around my neck.
I was excited as I thought that maybe she was starting to get more affectionate and returned her hug. When I felt her mouth on the side of my cheek, I thought she was going to kiss me.
Heck no!
Within a second those teeth had sunk into my cheek and she was hanging on for dear life.
I disengaged her and burst into tears.
Not only did it hurt physically, but also emotionally.
Now she is kissing us.
How cool is that!
She may have autism but, she knows we love her and towards the end of the night, instead of us initiating the kisses, they were coming from her.
Life is great.
Later

No comments: